The Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society (AAHGS) is pleased to announce the 2010 Conference Call for Papers, to be presented at our next Annual Conference, 7-10 October 2010, in Adelphia, Maryland. The AAHGS Conference endeavors each year to provide the premier opportunity to explore standard and innovative methods, resources, and strategies centered around African-American, Caribbean and Native American genealogy as well as the expansive history of the African in the Diaspora.
The following focus areas are offered as suggestions for session topics
· African American History
· Caribbean-American Research
· African American Migration (varied)
· Periods of War: Revolutionary War; Civil War; WWI; WWII;
· African Americans in New England, Pre-Civil War
· Use of Technology in research (Not product sales presentations)
· Church/Religious History in the African American Experience
· The Civil Rights Movement
· Research methodologies (various levels)
· State Specific Research Resources; Adoption Records
· Local history, i.e. town histories; institutions; industrial history as it relates to the African American experience
· Native American/African American experience
· Blacks in the West;
The topics are merely suggestions. We are looking for presenters that have solidly researched their topic area, are able to inform a diverse audience and deliver insightful and enjoyable presentations. Authors and possible candidates for keynote and general assembly gatherings may also submit their proposals.
I. Session Title
II. Name(s) of Session Presenters – indicate lead
III. Research skill level of audience
IV. Purpose/learning objective
V. Session description- Provide narrative of information to be covered in the presentation (This information will be included in the Conference Syllabus).
VI. Include presenter(s) biographical information.
VII. Include list of resources and/or bibliography.
VIII. AV Requirements (this must be included in your initial proposal):
Please indicate the type of audio/visual equipment that will be required for your presentation. Examples:
§ I will be using Power Point for my presentation. I will bring my own laptop, but will need a projector
§ I will use Power Point and will provide my own equipment
§ I am using Power Point and will need a laptop, and projector from AAHGS.
Finally indicate if you need an overhead projector, slide projector, TV/VCR, DVD, flip chart, portable sound system, microphone, table or podium.
1. All presenters agree to participate at their own expense. A token of appreciation is offered, however it does not cover conference costs. Please take this into consideration before submitting or agreeing to participate.
2. Session materials, bios, etc will be included in the Conference Syllabus.
Proposals must be received no later than 30 July 2010 and should not exceed 12 pages. Proposals must include all required information, including: your complete name; email address; telephone number(s); and postal mail address. Notice of acceptance or rejection will be sent by 15 August 2010.
Presenters may submit proposals via postal mail or by email. Material submitted via email must be in Microsoft® Word format. Proposals submitted via email should be sent to <email@example.com> with “2010 AAHGS Conference” in the subject line. Proposals submitted by postal mail should be sent to: AAHGS 2010 Annual Conference, PO Box 73067, Washington, D.C. 20056.
For additional information or with questions about the submission requirements, contact: Jerry Hynson, AAHGS Vice President of History, at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Do not email conference proposals to Jerry’s email address; send proposals to <email@example.com> with “2010 AAHGS Conference” in the subject line.